Group Cautions Parents and Kids against Toy “Magnetic Putty” with High Arsenic and Lead Content


Photo Courtesy of EU RAPEX

The EcoWaste Coalition, a non-profit environment and health group, today alerted consumers against a toy stress reliever consisting of a putty substance and a small cube magnet that was recently withdrawn in Europe due to its excessive arsenic and lead content.

Citing information from the European Union’s Rapid Alert System (RAPEX) for dangerous non-food products, the group warned that public authorities in the United Kingdom have ordered Magnetic Putty to be withdrawn from the market for safety reasons.

“It’s possible that Magnetic Putty, which is sold online, is already being used by some Filipino children.  To avoid serious chemical and choking risks, they should stop using the product immediately,” advised Thony Dizon, Chemical Safety Campaigner, EcoWaste Coalition.

The said toy is not duly notified with the Food and Drug Administration of the Philippines as per FDA’s website.

“We also urge online retailers to remove the listings for the banned toy following the moves by Amazon, eBay and Groupon as reported in the British media,” he said.

As of this time, e-commerce retailers Alibaba, Lazada and Shopee have yet to remove Magnetic Putty from their websites.

Based on the investigation conducted by UK’s Northamptonshire Trading Standards Service, the gold-colored Magnetic Putty contains high amounts of arsenic (measured value: 32.9mg/kg) and lead (measured value: 29 mg/kg).

“Arsenic is toxic and exposure to lead is harmful for human health and can cause developmental neurotoxicity,” the UK agency said.

The magnet is a small part with a high magnetic flux, it added.

“Children swallowing two or more magnets or a magnet and a metal object have previously required major surgery as the magnets are attracted to each other and may cause lacerations of the digestive tract,” the UK agency reported.

-end-

Reference:

https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/consumers_safety/safety_products/rapex/alerts/?event=main.notification&search_term=A12/0227/18&exclude_search_term=0&search_year=2018

http://www3.northamptonshire.gov.uk/news/council-news/Pages/unsafe-toys-withdrawn-from-sale-after-trading-standards-investigation.aspx

Online listings for Magnetic Putty (last checked on 19 February 2018):

https://www.lazada.com.ph/magnetic-putty-slime-with-free-magnet-and-2-pairs-of-googly-eyes-gold-83953551.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlist.list.75.3acc2fbel7PLpV

https://www.lazada.com.ph/magnetic-putty-slime-with-free-magnet-and-2-pairs-of-googly-eyes-blue-83939727.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlist.list.173.36052fbeSnp9Kv

https://shopee.ph/Magnetic-Putty-Toy-Stress-Reliever-for-Kids-and-Adults-for-Fun-Green-i.45368601.844733840

https://shopee.ph/HGO-Magnetic-Putty-Toy-Stress-Reliever-for-Kids-and-Adults-i.42070529.740656385

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Magic-Magnetic-Thinking-Putty-Therapy-Putty_60700508942.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.33.39af36cbIPoUFe&s=p

Comments

Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HERPES virus again. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HERPES) for the past 3 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how Dr Ogudugu helped someone in curing his HERPES disease, quickly I copied his email which is greatogudugu@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, behold I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. If you are having a similar problem just email him on ( greatogudugu@gmail.com ) or you can whatsApp his mobile number on +27663492930
Helen Debra said…
Dr.Ayomide a herbal practitioner who helped cure me from Genital herpes,this i had suffered from for the past 2years and i have spent so much money trying to survive from it.I got my healing by taking the herbal medicine he sent to me to drink for about 9days.3days after completion of the dosage,I went for a medical checkup and I was tested Genital Herpes NEGATIVE.I'm sharing this so that other people can know of this great healer called Dr Ayomide because I got to know him through a friend he cured from HIV.I was made to understand that he can cure several other deadly diseases and infections.Don't die in ignorance and don't let that illness take your life.Contact Dr Ayomide through his email address=ayomideherbalhome@gmail.com You can also call him or WhatsApp him on:+2348062443909 Thank you Dr. Ayomide. Be kind enough to share as you received.
John woo said…
I had my first outbreak of Herpes virus nearly 2 years ago. Of all the tardiness, the pain and itching were unbearable. I literally freaked out as my general physician said that it had no cure. The outbreaks were not that frequent initially, but every time I fell sick, it would resurface. I had so many sores this year that I was desperate to try anything to get rid of them. Three months ago a friend suggested that I try DR AKHIGBE remedy that's helping people get cured from HSV, COUGHING, HIV&AIDS, GENITAL HERPES, ALS, SNEEZING, HEPATITIS B, CANCER e.t.c. I quickly ordered the product and started using the remedies. I'm so relieved to say that I've not had even one outbreak for a whole month now. Moreover, I'm feeling great from within. I truly endorse this herbal product DR AKHIGBE rendered to me. So if you are suffering from any deadly disease you can also contact this great man on his email Drakhigbeherbalhome5@gmail.com contact his whatsApp +2349021374574.